An intense collision between two moving vehicles can severely injure a victim, whether it is a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle accident. Moreover, bicyclists are more prone to injuries as the margin of error is very high, and safety is less when compared to cars. Getting hit on a bicycle by a car or a truck may injure the bicyclist severely while the vehicle driver remains unharmed.
In most bicycle accidents, the driver who crashed the bicyclist is at fault, as a driver may lose control or may not follow traffic rules. In such cases, where the bicyclist is innocent, they can get compensation for damages and injuries sustained. However, proving these can be complicated, and a victim may require the help of a Portland bicycle accident attorney to get the compensation that they deserve.
What kind of injuries can be sustained after a bicycle accident?
A victim of a bicycle accident may sustain minor to significant injuries. Minor injuries do not require medical attention, and self-first aid is sufficient. While major injuries require immediate and adequate medical attention to treat an issue, also, adequate treatment is necessary to avoid future complications and long-term effects. Some of the major injuries have been mentioned below.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Compound Fractures.
- Internal organ damage.
- Disc herniation or slipped disc.
- Soft tissue injuries.
Major injuries may result in complete or partial loss of a body function, damage to the spinal cord may result in complete paralysis below the site of damage. In some cases, a victim may suffer from loss of special senses, like vision loss, taste, or hearing loss. This makes it essential for a victim to get immediate and adequate treatment.
How can a bicycle accident lawyer help?
The importance of a bicycle accident lawyer in case of bicycle accidents cannot be neglected. Their experience and knowledge can get a victim the claim they rightfully deserve. A lawyer helps in the following
- An experienced lawyer guides their client on how to proceed and how to file a compensation claim.
- Lawyers know how to negotiate with insurance companies. Therefore, their negotiation can get a victim the compensation they deserve.
- They will ensure that you have a strong argument in the court.
- Lawyers will help a victim collect evidence, as having solid evidence ensures that the victim is innocent. Moreover, having strong evidence also strengthens the argument of a victim in court.
- Lawyers also help prepare eyewitnesses if required.